©iStock / skynesher
Start-ups in the high-tech sector bring innovation and growth. With 70 universities, and a large number of non-university research institutes, North Rhine-Westphalia has the best potential for high-tech start-ups.
Innovative ideas in the high-tech sector need special support.
This is because businesses in the high-tech sector are key components in the state’s economic development. They drive development and encourage innovation well beyond the confines of their own business. For this reason, start-up entrepreneurs often need to make considerable investment and thus bear a particularly high risk when setting up in business.
Special support in the high-tech sector
In North Rhine-Westphalia, there are particular funding opportunities specifically designed for high-tech businesses. For example, the following institutions offer specific support:
- Exzellenz Start-up Center.NRW (information in German only) and Start-up transfer NRW (information in German only) support start-ups from universities.
- The Cluster NMWP NRW focuses on hardware-based, scalable high-tech start-ups in the field of nano- and micro technologies, new materials and photonics.
- The Accelerator High-Tech.NRW is specifically committed to founders in this sector.
- The Center for Nanotechnology CeNTech Münster (CeNTech) provides support to founders in the field of nanotechnology.
- The COPT Centre for Organic Electronics | University of Cologne provides services specifically for development in the field of organic and printed electronics.
- The incubator, known as Quick Innovation in Catalysis (QuinCat) at RWTH Aachen supports start-ups in the Green Chemistry and Engineering sector.
- BIO.NRW – The home of Biotech network supports start-ups from an academic environment through to starting their own business and initial financing.
- The EnergieAgentur NRW (information in German only) is an energy agency that supports start-ups with implementing innovative business models. The new Innovationsplattform NRW makes it easier for start-ups to establish networks in business and academia.
- Thanks to the KI Accelerator Programme, provided by the DWNRW Hubs (information in German only), we are funding a tailor-made intensive support scheme for start-ups focusing on artificial intelligence.
The Energieforschungsoffensive.NRW (english: NRW Energy Research Offensive) (information in German only) supports entrepreneurs from the energy sector in science and business networking and in finding suitable funding.
The NRW.BANK offers a specialised consultancy service for budding technology-oriented entrepreneurs from universities and research institutions, as well as newly established innovative start-ups with its NRW.BANK.Venture Center (information in German only). The NRW.SeedCap programme is one of the specific funding options for start-up and growth financing for technology-oriented start-ups. Within the limits of a sum of 15,000 to 100,000 euros, this once again doubles the support provided by Business Angels.
In addition, via the EXIST programmes start-up grants and research transfer, the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action is promoting technology-oriented or knowledge-based start-ups from universities and other research projects.
Social media settings
By activating these fields by clicking, information will be send to the following services and saved there:
Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google, Pinterest, Instagram, Flickr, Vimeo
Please read carefully our notes and information on Data Privacy and Netiquette (in German) before you activate individual social media.
Activate data feeds from Social Networks permanently and consent to data transfer: